Campus History : Hefley Hall

During the 1950’s, the State of Oklahoma passed a $13,000,000 bond issue to build university buildings. Panhandle Agricultural and Mechanical College (PAMC) received $450,000 of that allotment, and with that portion, constructed a new science building. In 1957, D. C. Bass Construction of Enid, Oklahoma, received the bid for the two-story building to sit east of Sewell-Loofbourrow Hall. The building housed the fields of science—earth science, physics, chemistry, and biology.

Finally, twelve years later, on May 2, 1969, the Board of Regents for the A and M Colleges officially designated Science Hall as Hefley Hall to honor Dr. Harold Hefley. Dr. Hefley first came to Panhandle State College (PSC) in 1955 and served as the head of the Department of Biology for many years; he retired in 1969.

The Board of Regents provided funds in 1969 to help remodel campus buildings, and Hefley Hall received an air conditioning system, a dumb waiter, classroom refurbishment, furniture, and updated laboratory equipment in 1973 as a result. The cost of the renovation amounted to approximately $40,000. In the summer of 1979, a tornado damaged many buildings on campus, including Hefley Hall. In 2008, Hefley Hall lost the science faculty and classes as they transferred to the Science and Agriculture Building.

- Sara Jane Richter, 2009


OPSU Campus Locations:

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Haynes' Power Plant

Presidents' Homes

Sewell-Loofbourrow

The Sower

Student Union

Carl Wooten Field

Pages: 1 2 3 4