Oklahoma Panhandle State University
Campus History : Faculty Housing
Available housing has never been plentiful in the Oklahoma Panhandle. Therefore, seeing the need to offer housing options for faculty members at the close of World War II, Panhandle Agricultural and Mechanical College (PAMC) President Marvin E. McKee undertook the building of several homes that faculty members and their families could rent. Campus saw the first five frame homes go up in 1946: three houses east of Anna Jarvis Hall and two more at the college farm. Ten years later, five homes were built along a street eventually dubbed “Faculty Row.” By the end of the 1960’s, a total of 22 faculty homes had been constructed on the west side of campus. In addition to the houses, Faculty Row is home to three two-bedroom duplexes built in the style of the married student housing complex on the northwest side of campus. On Line Drive, south of married student housing, two university duplexes stand. Each apartment of these duplexes has two bedrooms and central air.
Each Faculty Row house has one of two floor plans. Regardless of style, guests enter the homes’ living and dining space with kitchens and garages to one side and bedrooms and baths to the other. Each brick home has a hip roof, a single garage, three bedrooms, one and one-half baths, landscaped front and back yards, hook-ups for washers and dryers, and concrete driveways.
- Sara Jane Richter, 2009