Oklahoma Panhandle State University
OPSU / Murphy-Brown
Water Quality Testing Laboratory
The Water Quality Laboratory offers drinking water, wastewater, and other testing services to communities, businesses, schools and individuals in the Oklahoma panhandle and nearby areas.
Customers are welcome to send samples or bring them to the laboratory.
All tests include kit for sample collection. These are available at the lab, or can be shipped to you.
We are accredited in Oklahoma for various regulated testing of drinking water and wastewater.
For details see Analyte Information (test methods, codes)
Our normal business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00AM until 4:30PM, throughout the year, with the following exceptions.
We are closed and not available to accept samples during these times:
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving (4th Thursday and following Friday in November)
- Christmas through New Year's (determined annually, check website)
LABORATORY RECEIVING HOURS
Samples are received any time during normal business hours in the Science and Agriculture Building room 119, with the following exceptions.
- "Bac-T" (presence/absence of total coliform and E. coli bacteria in drinking water)
- Fecal coliform bacteria in wastewater
- Nitrate and/or Nitrite
These sample types have specific time limits for testing after collection.
These sample types must be tested within specific time limits after collection. We may not be available to run these tests when received on Fridays or before a holiday. Depending on lab staff availability, these samples may be rejected. For these sample types, the following conditions apply.
- Samples received on a Friday will have a 200% surcharge.
- Samples received on the day before any holiday will have a 300% surcharge.
BOD5 and CBOD5
The test must be started within a specific time limit after collection and is completed 5 days later. Because the test end could occur on a weekend or holiday, we begin the test only on specific days. Samples for this type will be received only on Wednesdays during normal hours and Thursday mornings until 12:00.
Check out the Frequently Asked Questions.