**For Immediate Release**
Franklin Hall Placed on State Historic List
-released by OPSU Campus Communications 02-15-06
Goodwell, OK - On Jan. 31, Preservation Oklahoma announced
that Franklin Hall on the Oklahoma Panhandle State campus
was placed on the Oklahoma Most Endangered Historic Places
List for 2006. Preservation Oklahoma and the State Historic
Preservation Office sponsor the list, which serves as a
sample of the thousands of Oklahoma landmarks that deserve
Franklin Hall, built in 1910, is
the oldest building on campus, but it is currently not
in use. A sturdy cement block building, it was completed
through a joint effort of the citizens of Goodwell, the
nearby communities and the school. Area residents donated
money, labor, and furnishings to the project. The building
originally housed 23 dorm rooms plus an apartment each
for the university president and the dorm’s faculty
supervisor and a dining room.
Although originally called the Girls’ Dormitory
or The Dormitory, it became the boys’ dorm when the
girls’ dorm Earle Hall was built in 1914. In 1924,
the Boys’ Dorm was named Franklin Hall in honor of “Grandpa” Franklin,
the father of Rev. Sam Franklin and Professor A. W. Franklin.
Grandpa Franklin was well known for holding prayer meetings
with the young men living in the dorm. Franklin Hall was
used as a residential facility until the spring of 2004.
Preservation Oklahoma announces the Most Endangered Historic
Places List each year to inform Oklahomans about the challenges
historic places face. It is also a tool to help raise awareness
and rally resources to save an endangered site. By being
on the list, OPSU could obtain grant funding for an architect
for the restoration of Franklin Hall, a first step in preserving
an important piece of Panhandle history.