**For Immediate Release**
Franklin Hall Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
-released by OPSU Campus Communications 10-10-07
By Laura Hays
Goodwell, Okla. - The National Park Service has listed OPSU’s Franklin Hall in the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1910 of sturdy cement block, it is the oldest building still standing on campus, but it is currently not in use. The building was completed through a joint effort that included the citizens of Goodwell and in nearby communities as well as personnel at the school. Area residents donated money, labor, and furnishings to the project. The building originally housed 23 dorm rooms plus an apartment each for the university president and the dorm’s faculty supervisor and a dining room.
Although originally called the Girls’ Dormitory or The Dormitory, it became the men’s dorm when Earle Hall was built in 1914 to house women. In 1924, the Boys’ Dorm was named Franklin Hall in honor of “Grandpa” Franklin, the father of Rev. Sam Franklin and Professor A. W. Franklin. Grandpa Franklin was well known for holding prayer meetings with the young men living in the dorm.
OPSU’s Dr. Wayne Manning said that when funds become available, the building will once more be used for student housing, but it needs a number of expensive repairs. The listing qualifies OPSU for specific federal grant funding to restore the property, a first step in preserving an important piece of Panhandle history.
The National Register is the federal government’s official list of historic properties worthy of preservation and the listing provides recognition and also assists in preserving our nation’s heritage. It is a tool to help raise awareness and rally resources to preserve an historic site. The listing is timely for OPSU’s own Centennial celebration, which has already started and will continue through 2008, the Centennial year of 2009, and will officially come to an end with the May 2010 Commencement Ceremony.