SiteMap&Search AboutUs Contact
 
 
 

Press Release

 
 
 

 

News

Campus Communications
Laura Dahl, Director
P.O. Box 430, Goodwell, Oklahoma 73939
Phone: 580-349-1354 * Fax: 580-349-1350
Email: lola@opsu.edu

OPSU Home

**For Immediate Release**
Keeping College Affordable
-released by OPSU Campus Communications 08-23-05
by Laura Dahl

According to figures released by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, Oklahoma Panhandle State University offers the lowest priced four year education available in the state. Part of the low cost at OPSU is directly attributable to the textbook rental program. In an article in the August 22, 2005 issue of The Oklahoman, Susan Simpson reported that textbook and supply costs range from $500 to $4,243 per semester at Oklahoma colleges and universities.

The lowest figure, $500, is a typical amount a student pays at OPSU for books and supplies. The university’s book rental program makes the low cost possible. According to Amanda Batenhorst, OPSU’s bookstore manager, approximately 80% of OPSU courses use rental textbooks, and the remaining 20% of courses require a purchased textbook. Students purchase new or used books for courses that cover rapidly changing industries including computer, nursing, and most accounting classes. Upper-level classes that are only taught periodically also require purchased books.

In addition to an affordable education, OPSU offers small class sizes that prepare students well for entering the work force or for graduate level education. OPSU boasts nine graduates placed in careers at NASA and affiliated industries over the past nine years, a number of students at Oklahoma State University School of Veterinary Medicine, and several graduates attending medical school and other graduate health programs. During the past several years, an OPSU accounting major has received the prestigious Oklahoma Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA) scholarship.

As OPSU nears its centennial celebration in 2009, we look forward to continuing the tradition of high quality, low cost education for all students.

-30-

 

 

All Rights Reserved. Copyright Oklahoma Panhandle State University 2005
Developed by: Michal Stachowski
Oklahoma Panhandle State University
P.O. Box 430 Goodwell, OK 73939, tel: 580-349-2611
Toll free 800-664-OPSU, email opsu@opsu.edu